Have a look online at the Celtic Colours International Festival website – for the Singing Storytellers “Learning Opportunities” and performance events that are featured there:
- Singing Storytellers at the Library: We invite the public to join our symposium for a day filled with films, workshops, talks and demonstrations about the lives, music and verbal artistry of bards in our world. 10am-4pm, Thurs, 9 Oct, McConnell Library.
- A Life in Story and Song: An evening featuring Irish traditional singers Seán Ó Sé and Lillis Ó Laoire, and a film created by ethnomusicologist Matthew Allen. 7pm, Thurs, 9 Oct, Sydney Curling Club.
- Capt. John Smith Goes to Ukraine: A play – a multimedia event! – featuring bandurist Julian Kytasty and poet Bob Holman. Before John Smith sailed for Virginia, he was an adventurer in the Mediterranean where he fought the Ottoman Turks, was captured and sold as a slave – as you will learn in this comedy/musical/historical epic-in-an-hour! 2pm, Sat, 11 Oct, Boardmore Playhouse/Cape Breton U.
- Bards of the World: A concert featuring singing storytellers from Mali to Ukraine to Ireland to Cape Breton! 2pm, Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Boardmore Playhouse/Cape Breton U.
- Whitney Pier Welcome: This concert that features performers of bardic traditions related to the diverse cultural ancestry of Whitney Pier’s multicultural community! 2pm, Mon, 13 Oct, Ukrainian Hall.
Many other Singing Storytellers workshop and performance events are in the works! Check out the Preliminary Program – and keep checking back to this site for updates. In the coming weeks, we will post news about Singing Storytellers Special Events!
To all Singing Storytellers symposium and project participants!
Great news! Celtic Colours International Festival has arranged a discounted rate for vehicle rental through Enterprise! PLEASE book your rental vehicles (whether in Halifax or Sydney or wherever), with Enterprise, citing the Celtic Colours promotional code – you will be given a significantly discounted rate! Your rental through Enterprise, using the promotional code, is an important way that Singing Storytellers can support our sponsors and partners – and you get a deal on your car rental! This helps everyone!
Find out more about the Celtic Colours promotional code and Enterprise vehicle rental here!
Looking forward to welcoming you to Cape Breton soon!
Dear colleagues, greetings to you on behalf of the Singing Storytellers organizers!
Online Registration is now available on our website.
***All presenters must be registered no later than July 21st, 2014 – or will be removed from the final program, which will be created shortly after July 21st, 2014.*** Note that the schedule of presentations will be revised from that of the preliminary program.
With kindest regards – looking forward to welcoming you to Cape Breton this October!
Marcia Ostashewski, PhD
Canada Research Chair in Communities and Cultures
Cape Breton University
Celtic Colours International Festival, one of Singing Storytellers major partners, has posted their program! Some of our Singing Storytellers Symposium program events are featured:
The Whitney Pier Welcome! concert was also prompted in a new venue by Singing Storytellers! Enjoy “Celtic Colours Ukrainian-style!” and a special Taste of Ukraine meal after the show! These events take place on Monday, October 13th (Canadian Thanksgiving), the day following our symposium. It will be well worth your while to stick around for at least one extra day to take in these events – and other Celtic Colours happenings! (access the 2014 Festival Schedule here)
Singing Storytellers own program will be finalized after July 21st, and updated online then. Looking forward to welcoming you to Cape Breton this October!